Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Trip To Remember

Today we went to wish Mr. V's mom Happy Birthday. She celebrated her 60th birthday in a very nice buffet with lots of champagne and great jazz music. It was Ariela's first trip to the restaurant. We would leave her with my parents but they were invited as well.

We were an hour late, since our little princess decided to do her business (#2) right when we were ready to leave. So she was back on the changing table :)

When we got to the restaurant Ariela was sleeping for the first 30 minutes. She gave us some time to say hello to everyone and to grab some food. Then it was her time to eat. By the way, she is still not a good eater. So, there she was, drinking her milk and doing her business again (#2) while she was on my lap. At that time, Mr. V's mom decided that it was time to take a picture of the whole gang. Ariela took a little break and posed for the picture. The guy who took the picture started counting 3, 2, 1 and right when he said 1, Ariela started crying so loud that a lot of people in the restaurant could hear. We got back to our sits and Ariela continued with her feast. And again, she was continuing with her business (#2) while she was eating on my laps. All of a sudden, my fingers feel warm and wet and they kind of smelled. What do you know, my little princess got not only herself dirty but her momma as well.

I quickly called Mr. V. He grabbed the diaper bag and the waiter showed us an empty private room where we could change Ariela, since they didn't have the changing station in the bathroom (which by the way is a little annoying. I think each restaurant should have one, especially now that I have a kid :) ). I was thankful that I had another outfit in the diaper bag, because her new Gap leggings and a cute onesie were all DIRTY. We quickly changed her and went back to the guests like nothing happened. I was also thankful that I wore black pants and no one could see a little mark Ariela left on them.

Over all, I realized how hard it is to go out with a baby. You have to get yourself and the baby ready, refill the diaper bag, make sure you have enough diapers, wipes, food, clothes, extra paci and a blanket. Then you have to leave the house in the time interval when your baby is not hungry, otherwise you are stuck for another 30 minutes. Then comes the driving, which is relatively easy since Ariela falls asleep in the car almost all the time. Then at the restaurant you can't just relax, enjoy the food and the atmosphere. I felt like I was always in a hurry. I am eating much faster, constantly looking if the baby is asleep, constantly looking at the clock if it is time for her to eat or sleep or if I need to start warming up the her milk/formula.

Today was definitely a trip to remember. Next time, I am taking two additional sets of clothes for Ariela and maybe one for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment